Thursday, July 28, 2016

Back racing, and loving it!

My slow and steady comeback to running continues to go well. I've been competing in short races (around the 5k distance) and in doing these, I realise how much I miss the thrill of racing. I possess a very strong competitive gene! The unknown Formula One driver Jean Behra once said, "Life is racing, the rest is waiting." Yes, a seemingly extreme life philosophy, but one that applies to my own running. Don't get me wrong — I do enjoy the simple act of running (the movement; being in nature; the camaraderie of runners), but I love racing.

An unexpected upside of this return from injury is being taken back to my running roots as a 23-year-old enthusiastic newbie. Every couple of days I can feel my fitness improving (and the data from the Garmin backs that up). The graph is steadily pointing skyward. This is exciting, but I have the knowledge that the graph will eventually flatten. A truth that my naive 20-something self didn't think would happen until I was running 30 minutes for 10 kilometres. Sounds crazy, but I had no coach and no idea. In reality I reached my peak as a 37-minute 10k runner.

On the 17th of July I ran in a race where, for a few kilometres, I was thinking 'wow, I'm flying along, passing runners, blasting along this muddy trail, feeling young again!' The race was the Sri Chinmoy Gungahlin Gallop 10k Trail Race — up on a muddy single-track to the top of this bloody big hill and back down again. I finished in the middle of the pack (probably towards the rear of the middle!) and my time of 75 minutes was woefully slow for a 10k, but my body and mind were for once co-existing in a place familiar to all runners. Greedy I know, but I want more of that.

Racing down the hill (recalling my days as a steeplechaser) in the Gungahlin Gallop 10k [John Harding photo]

My video, mostly showing runners in the 30k

16 comments:

Rachel said...

Very good news! Are you coming over for the Trail weekend then??

Anonymous said...

I'm happy for you, great race photo!

Ewen said...

Yes Rachel. I haven't entered yet but most likely will do the 5k / MTB double.

Thanks Anna - John had impeccable timing with that one.

Janene said...

So happy for you ET. So very happy :-)

TokyoRacer said...

I'm with you!

Thomas said...

Excellent news, now make sure you don't have a setback!

Ewen said...

Thanks J. The running happiness will be yours too one day.

Thanks Bob.

Bloody oath Thomas! I'm the most careful warmer-upperer, stretcher and strengthener you've never met!

allrounder said...

Good to have you back out there...!

BlueRaider said...

It is great to have you back - albeit we'll miss your Youtubes!!!

Ewen said...

Thanks Bron. Really enjoying it, even though my handicap sucks ;-)

Thanks BR. I'll still be Youtubing races & some other local runs, just not the ones I'm running in :-)

Running Raggedy said...

That post may as well have been written by a younger 23 year old running nut such was the passion. Good on ya mate. Very motivating and inspirational. Wouldn't mind seeing a couple of archived pictures one day. Bet you haven't changed a bit.

Ewen said...

Ha ha, thanks Mark. Once a running nut...
I'll look into the archives - photos back in those days were taken on Instamatics and stored in shoe boxes, so I'd have to scan them :)

Anonymous said...

That’s great news.
A wonderful action shot, and it looks like the impact at footfall might produce greater stress at the knee than the calf ;)

Ewen said...

Agree Canute - John's timing was perfect. My legs miraculously recalled the soft landing technique of my ancient steeplechase days ;)

Black Knight said...

Glad that your comeback to running continues well. You always run in beautiful places.

Ewen said...

We're lucky Stefano. I never take where we live for granted :)